Alternative treatments for healthy looking skin. Read below for essential beauty products to maintain that healthy glow!
5 Oils and Alternative Treatments for Your Skin
Skin issues can happen at any age. Whether you have dry, oily or sensitive skin, it can get complicated.
Although there are many products on the market that promise to “cure” your skin ailments, natural alternatives have proven to be effective and one of the safest options for skin treatment.
Here are just a few of the different oils that are easy to add to your skin maintenance routine and can help with frustrations you may be facing.
Moringa oil has been around for thousands of years and was originally used by ancient Egyptians. This oil contains antioxidants and fatty acids that help prevent the skin from sun damage and aging while being a natural moisturizer.
Argan oil is used today as an effective anti-aging treatment. Regular use of argan oil can help tighten the skin and increase oxygenation and nutrients in the cells.
Because of its high content of Vitamin C and Omega fatty acids, rosehip oil is an excellent treatment for restoring the skin and helping heal scar tissue. This oil will help your skin feel replenished and brightened.
Hemp seed oil
If you struggle with oily skin and blocked pores, believe or not, this dry oil can help. Hemp seed oil has a high content of Omega fatty acids that can reduce pore size and eliminate acne. This oil is also used to treat psoriasis and eczema because of its anti-inflammatory properties.
Coconut oil has many uses and benefits. Not only is it used for skin treatment, but can also be used to whiten your teeth. If you spend a lot of the time in the sun and have dry skin, coconut oil can be used to replenish and moisturize your skin. If you’re looking to whiten your teeth, doing a coconut oil rinse has been proven to remove bacteria and plaque.
There are other alternative options to improving your skin beyond what you apply on the surface. Here are some easy steps to add to your daily routine.
Here are some alternative treatments for healthy looking skin.
- Avoid food allergies: Most people who have skin issues also have food allergies that can worsen their skin. Common foods to avoid include gluten, dairy and artificial additives. You can eliminate each food group one at a time to test if it improves your skin.
- Replace meat and dairy: By replacing these inflammatory saturated fats with unsaturated fats, you will increase your intake of nutrients that can aid your skin. Unsaturated fats to add to your diet include avocado, olive oil, nuts and flaxseed.
- Probiotics: Taking a daily probiotic supplement has been proven to reduce symptoms of dermatitis, a disorder causing itchy, red skin. Probiotics add healthy bacteria to your gut and improve your digestive tract system, which in turn improves the overall health and function of your body.
- Remove sugar: Remove sugar and processed foods from your diet. Besides not having a rich nutritional value, processed foods can affect and worsen allergies and skin disorders.
- Herbal tea: Herbal teas have been shown to reduce inflammation that comes with eczema. Teas to try include chamomile tea, nettle tea or drinking Aloe Vera.
- Acupuncture: Acupuncture can stimulate the production of endorphins in the body, which then can improve function of the immune and endocrine systems. Improving these systems can greatly affect the skin and restore it to better health.
Like most common health issues, a healthy diet, exercise and reducing stress can be of great help. Environmental factors can have a large impact on skin and overall health of the body. By following a daily routine that includes eating natural foods, exercising regularly and eliminating excess stress, you can see your skin start to improve as well!
Dr. Heintze at Starting Point Acupuncture and Wellness helps people with chronic health problems find solutions and symptom relief. If you have questions about how acupuncture or natural medicine can help, please give our office a call today (425) 686-4498.
Dr. Ellie Heintze, ND, LAc, is a naturopathic doctor and acupuncturist in Bothell, WA at her practice Starting Point Acupuncture. She is a pain specialist, seeing people who suffer from chronic pain, migraines, as well as digestive issues. Offering pain relief injections, acupuncture, and nutrition consults. Most insurances accepted. Dr. Ellie Heintze is also the author of the book, A Starting Point Guide to Going Gluten-Free on Amazon. As the director of the nonprofit, The Pain Relief Project, she also offers sliding scale, low-cost care for those on Medicare or uninsured.
Please share this article!
Dr. Ellie Heintze, ND, LAc
- Master’s Degree in Acupuncture
- Doctorate in Naturopathic Medicine
- Master’s Degree in Chemistry
Northern Arizona University
Search Through The Doctor's Blog
Acupuncture Benefits For
- 5 element acupuncture (1)
- Addictions (23)
- Allergies (37)
- Arthritis (20)
- Back Pain (25)
- Better Health & Wellness (284)
- Cancer (10)
- Chronic Problems (77)
- Cosmetic and Aesthetics (11)
- Cosmetic and Skin Health (16)
- Cupping Therapy (5)
- Diabetes and Prevention (17)
- Digestive Health (111)
- Diseases & Disorders (72)
- Eye Disorders (2)
- Fertility (12)
- Gluten-Free Product Review (6)
- Headaches (24)
- Health Insurance (2)
- Healthy Eating & Nutrition (94)
- Helpsheets (9)
- Herbs & Essential Oils (8)
- How Does Acupuncture Work (87)
- Immune Support (36)
- Injury Rehabilitation (24)
- Ketogenic Diet (2)
- Mental Health (45)
- Migraine Treatment (32)
- Mindset and Meditation (10)
- Naturopathic Doctor (100)
- Newsletter Archives (4)
- Pain Management (100)
- PCOS (4)
- Pregnancy (6)
- Recipes (33)
- Research Updates (45)
- Sciatica (8)
- Sleep (27)
- The Acupuncture Meridians (2)
- Therapies & Treatments (52)
- Type 1 Diabetes (2)
- Uncategorized (95)
- Videos (7)
- Weight Loss (37)
- Women's Health (29)