Once the cause of IBS has been determined and proper treatment has been prescribed, you will not only feel better emotionally and physically, but can get back to concentrating on other things besides your IBS!
What is Irritable Bowel Syndrome (aka IBS)?
IBS is a group of symptoms suffered by an estimated 25-45 million people in the United States. Symptoms include chronic abdominal pain, bloating, excess gas and irregular bowel movements. Symptoms can be brought on by a number of triggers including diet, anxiety, insomnia and stress. IBS is thought of as a diagnosis of exclusion, when a clear “cause” cannot be identified. After being diagnosed, some people feel discouraged and left to suffer with their symptoms without being given an answer as to the cause.
This is where naturopathic medicine and acupuncture come into play. By getting a proper evaluation and testing will provide insight as to what initiated and lead to the IBS symptoms. Once the cause has been determined and proper treatment has been prescribed, you will not only feel better emotionally and physically, but can get back to concentrating on other things besides your digestion!
IBS Awareness: Here are 5 things you did not know
- May present with both constipation and diarrhea
- IBS usually has a cause and its probably diet related
- IBS linked to be associated with a disruption in the gut-brain axis
- Stress can worsen or trigger symptoms, but does not necessarily cause IBS
- Antibiotic use may predispose you to IBS
There are many solutions for IBS. The first step is to identify what are contributing factors that may have contributed to the symptoms. Then removing them, changing diet based on individual needs, and repairing any damage to the gut. Remove-Repair-Replenish.
To get a jump start on having healthy digestion, check out Dr. Ellie’s online classes. These are short classes which have accompanying handouts and meal plans. Get started here.
Stay tuned this month as Dr. Heintze will be posting other health tips centered around IBS and healthy digestion!
Ellie Heintze, ND, LAc, is a naturopathic doctor and licensed acupuncturist with a private practice in Bothell, WA. She is a specialist in digestive health, food allergies, and gluten-free living. She is the creator of The Food Allergy Formula, and author of “A Starting Point Guide to Gluten-Free Living and Healthy Digestion” on Amazon.
Please share this article!
Dr. Ellie Heintze, ND, LAc
- Master’s Degree in Acupuncture
- Doctorate in Naturopathic Medicine
- Master’s Degree in Chemistry
Northern Arizona University
Search Through The Doctor's Blog
Acupuncture Benefits For
- 5 element acupuncture (1)
- Addictions (22)
- Allergies (34)
- Arthritis (13)
- Back Pain (19)
- Better Health & Wellness (238)
- Cancer (10)
- Chronic Problems (45)
- Cosmetic and Aesthetics (11)
- Cosmetic and Skin Health (14)
- Cupping Therapy (5)
- Diabetes and Prevention (14)
- Digestive Health (99)
- Diseases & Disorders (51)
- Fertility (7)
- Gluten-Free Product Review (6)
- Headaches (17)
- Health Insurance (2)
- Healthy Eating & Nutrition (89)
- Helpsheets (9)
- Herbs & Essential Oils (7)
- How Does Acupuncture Work (76)
- Immune Support (31)
- Injury Rehabilitation (20)
- Ketogenic Diet (2)
- Mental Health (37)
- Migraine Treatment (23)
- Mindset and Meditation (6)
- Naturopathic Doctor (90)
- Newsletter Archives (4)
- Pain Management (68)
- PCOS (1)
- Pregnancy (6)
- Recipes (33)
- Research Updates (31)
- Sciatica (5)
- Sleep (17)
- The Acupuncture Meridians (2)
- Therapies & Treatments (52)
- Type 1 Diabetes (2)
- Uncategorized (65)
- Videos (5)
- Weight Loss (28)
- Women's Health (19)