Allergies got you down? Contact our Bothell office today at (425) 686-4498 to see how we can help you curb your allergies today!
Tips to Combat Seasonal Allergies in the PNW and Seattle
A runny nose, sneezing, itchy watery eyes…also known as symptoms of allergies. Allergies can really be a pain. It is estimated that nearly 50 million Americans suffer from allergies every year, and spend over $18 billion a year on over-the-counter allergy medications. What if there were a way to combat seasonal allergies without the harsh side effects of medications and actually get to the root of the problem instead of just masking the symptoms?
In fact, there is. Acupuncture has proven effectiveness when it comes to allergies.
How acupuncture can help combat seasonal allergies
Acupuncture and traditional Chinese medicine (TCM) offer a safe, holistic approach to allergies that can end up saving you money in the long term. Western medicine sees seasonal allergies as a hypersensitive reaction that occurs when antibodies interact with airborne particles such as pollen. Interestingly, the places in the body where these antibodies are produced align with the energy meridians most strongly connected to allergic reactions in TCM. Both Western medicine and TCM map these sensitivity points onto the gastrointestinal tract and the spleen. Both schools of thought also connect inflammatory foods such as sugar with allergy flare-ups. Through TCM, patients can find allergy relief through a holistic wellness plan that doesn’t necessitate a reliance on synthetic medications.
Acupuncture for Seasonal Allergies:
Acupuncture helps build or tonify the energy within the respiratory system and the immune system. This energy is called qi (pronounced “chee”). When lung qi and the Wei qi (aka the immune system) are strong and the body is balanced, then allergies rarely become an issue. Acupuncture stimulates blood flow, which carries oxygen to every cell in the body. The increased blood flow boosts the immune system, dilates the bronchioles and produces anti-inflammatory agents that help improve breathing by relaxing the muscles.
Acupuncture Points to Know:
1. Large Intestine 20 – This point is located bilaterally on the face, on either side of the nose. Large intestine 20 is used to open nasal passages and clear heat from the sinuses.
2. Lung 5 – Lung 5 is located at the end of the outer crease of the elbow, just to the outside of the tendon. This point opens up the airways and the throat, while reducing wheezing.
3. Ren 17 – This point is located in the middle of the chest, midway between both nipples. It is used to open the chest, loosen up congestion, stop coughing and encourage full breathing.
4. LI4: The “Master” Point, located in the picture above. This point is almost always tender on everyone, located in the web between the thumb and index finger. It opens and clears the face, so it’s great for relieving headaches and sinus pressure!
Nutrition to Combat Seasonal Allergies:
For the lungs and respiratory system to be strong, they need proper nourishment, just like the rest of the body. Certain foods are good for increasing immunity, while also opening up the lungs and increasing circulation. Foods like garlic and onions reduce inflammation and fight off infections. Chili peppers open up the nasal passages, stimulating the mucus membranes and fighting off pollen, bacteria and viruses. Peppers, berries and parsley all contain quercetin, which can reduce histamine reactions that occur when allergies flare up.
As you can see, acupuncture is a great way to deal with allergies. Contact our Bothell office today at (425) 686-4498 to see how we can help you curb your allergies today!
Please share this article!
Dr. Ellie Heintze, ND, LAc
- Master’s Degree in Acupuncture
- Doctorate in Naturopathic Medicine
- Master’s Degree in Chemistry
Northern Arizona University
Search Through The Doctor's Blog
Acupuncture Benefits For
- 5 element acupuncture (1)
- Addictions (22)
- Allergies (34)
- Arthritis (16)
- Back Pain (21)
- Better Health & Wellness (251)
- Cancer (10)
- Chronic Problems (56)
- Cosmetic and Aesthetics (11)
- Cosmetic and Skin Health (14)
- Cupping Therapy (5)
- Diabetes and Prevention (14)
- Digestive Health (101)
- Diseases & Disorders (58)
- Fertility (8)
- Gluten-Free Product Review (6)
- Headaches (20)
- Health Insurance (2)
- Healthy Eating & Nutrition (90)
- Helpsheets (9)
- Herbs & Essential Oils (7)
- How Does Acupuncture Work (79)
- Immune Support (31)
- Injury Rehabilitation (23)
- Ketogenic Diet (2)
- Mental Health (38)
- Migraine Treatment (26)
- Mindset and Meditation (7)
- Naturopathic Doctor (94)
- Newsletter Archives (4)
- Pain Management (79)
- PCOS (3)
- Pregnancy (6)
- Recipes (33)
- Research Updates (37)
- Sciatica (6)
- Sleep (17)
- The Acupuncture Meridians (2)
- Therapies & Treatments (52)
- Type 1 Diabetes (2)
- Uncategorized (75)
- Videos (6)
- Weight Loss (29)
- Women's Health (21)