Trying to beat fatigue? Read Dr. Ellie's simple tips to help get you started below.
Easy Ways to Beat Fatigue…Naturally!
Do you suffer from low energy aka fatigue?
Most of us do at some point in our lives.
What exactly is fatigue, anyway?
Fatigue is defined by the inability to initiate activity, lower overall energy levels, and even poor mood or concentration.
Common causes of fatigue can be poor sleep, overwork/exhaustion, poor nutrition, underling health condition (hypothyroid is a common one), stress, fighting an infection, and emotional causes like depression or anxiety.
In this blog I am going to address some simple ways to help boost energy if you experience daily low energy. Hopefully these tips will help provide some support to reboot your system for success!
#1: Using food as medicine
The number one thing you can do right now is to start eating the right foods to fuel your brain. This will help to stabilize blood sugar and give your body the boost of nutrients it can use to produce energy and help improve energy, mood, and overall health. So, key tip is to get off the blood sugar roller coaster!
One of the simplest ways we can boost our energy is to stabilize blood sugar. When we don’t eat enough food throughout the day or when we eat foods that are higher in sugar, our energy levels bottom out.
You can balance your blood sugar, and boost your energy naturally by:
- Eating every 3-4 hours gives your body the nutrients and fuel it needs to keep your blood sugar – and energy levels steady
- Consuming foods that are low on the glycemic index (think fruits and veggies, whole grains) instead of the higher sugar white breads and pastas.
- Eating protein with every meal to slow down the release of carbohydrates into your bloodstream. Protein is broken down and released slower so you’re less likely to have a blood sugar spike and subsequent crash.
#2: Get moving and beat fatigue
When we are tired, overwhelmed, or overworked, the last thing you want to do is exercise. However, as hard as it can be to get your butt off the couch, it’s one of the best things you can do to fight fatigue. This is where setting a clear plan and daily routine is key! It can be as simple as starting with a 10-15 minute walk around the block before lunch and dinner. Movement helps to increase circulation which boosts brain power and fuels energy!
#3: Make sure you are actually getting sleep to help fatigue
It may seem obvious that lack of sleep causes fatigue. However did you know that the quality of your sleep can have an even bigger impact on your daily energy? Even slight disturbances in our sleep can affect how rested we feel the next day.
Here are a couple of tips for a more restful sleep:
- Cut screen time 1-2 hours before bed. Even the small amount of light, especially the blue light emitted from devices, interrupts your body’s circadian rhythm. Your brain still thinks it’s daytime and won’t wind down.
- Limit the caffeine late in the day – or avoid all together if this is a problem for you
- Create a regular sleep/wake schedule to help your body develop a sleep routine = good sleep hygiene.
- Sip on some Chamomile tea before bed or Calm-magnesium power/tea to help relax before bed.
For additional steps on how to Fight Fatigue, check out Dr. Ellie’s Fighting Fatigue online course!
Dr. Heintze offers in-person wellness consults as well as telehealth/virtual consults to address stress management techniques, natural ways to promote wellness, digestive health concerns, fatigue, insomnia, and pain management. We offer integrative care to promote individual plans for optimal wellness, whatever your specific health goals are.
Contact our office at (425) 686-4498 to schedule your consult today with Dr. Heintze today to learn how we can help! Telehealth/virtual visits are available now!
Please share this article!
Dr. Ellie Heintze, ND, LAc
- Master’s Degree in Acupuncture
- Doctorate in Naturopathic Medicine
- Master’s Degree in Chemistry
Northern Arizona University
Search Through The Doctor's Blog
Acupuncture Benefits For
- 5 element acupuncture (1)
- Addictions (23)
- Allergies (37)
- Arthritis (20)
- Back Pain (25)
- Better Health & Wellness (284)
- Cancer (10)
- Chronic Problems (77)
- Cosmetic and Aesthetics (11)
- Cosmetic and Skin Health (16)
- Cupping Therapy (5)
- Diabetes and Prevention (17)
- Digestive Health (111)
- Diseases & Disorders (72)
- Eye Disorders (2)
- Fertility (12)
- Gluten-Free Product Review (6)
- Headaches (24)
- Health Insurance (2)
- Healthy Eating & Nutrition (94)
- Helpsheets (9)
- Herbs & Essential Oils (8)
- How Does Acupuncture Work (87)
- Immune Support (36)
- Injury Rehabilitation (24)
- Ketogenic Diet (2)
- Mental Health (45)
- Migraine Treatment (32)
- Mindset and Meditation (10)
- Naturopathic Doctor (100)
- Newsletter Archives (4)
- Pain Management (100)
- PCOS (4)
- Pregnancy (6)
- Recipes (33)
- Research Updates (45)
- Sciatica (8)
- Sleep (27)
- The Acupuncture Meridians (2)
- Therapies & Treatments (52)
- Type 1 Diabetes (2)
- Uncategorized (95)
- Videos (7)
- Weight Loss (37)
- Women's Health (29)