Heart health is key to keeping our body, mind, and spirit going strong! Read more below on the best tips to improve heart health.
Acupuncture for Heart Health
Heart health is extremely important. Without a healthy heart, the body does not function properly. Your brain needs a healthy blood supply so you can think and process information clearly, our limbs need blood to help you move, and all your organs need that blood supply to keep you ticking!
When the heart is strong, blood flow will be sufficient, the body will be well nourished and the pulse will reflect that by being full and regular. At your acupuncture visit, that is why we always check your pulse as it is so crucial to surveying the state of your body. In acupuncture terms and even conventional medicine can agree, a weak heart can manifest as palpitations, chest pain and even heart disease or a heart attack. Where the two medical systems diverge is this: Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) also acknowledges that the heart “houses the mind.”
A strong heart = a strong body + mind
In TCM, the heart and the mind are virtually inseparable. The heart governs the ability to think clearly and sleep soundly. Our emotional state is strongly influenced by how healthy or unhealthy our heart maybe. A weak and deficient heart may create feelings of anxiety and mania, while also contributing to insomnia, forgetfulness and lack of concentration. And conversely, a weak mind or uncontrolled emotions can lead to a sick heart.
Looking at some of the different modalities incorporated along side acupuncture, there are many ways a person can manage their heart health.
Here are some ways that can help:
Acupuncture for Heart Health:
Acupuncture treatments can help tremendously to keep your heart healthy. In addition, acupuncture has been shown to lower blood pressure, calm the mind, relieve stress, and decrease any pain that might be occurring. It also can stimulate blood flow, making circulation more effective.
This is KEY for people with neuropathy.
Acupuncture Points for Heart Health:
· Governing Vessel 20 – This point is located on the top of the head, midway between the apexes of both ears. GV20 stimulates circulation throughout the body and calms the mind.
· Heart 7 – This point is located bilaterally on the underside of the wrist, at the outermost end of the wrist crease. H7 can help with heart arrhythmias, panic attacks, hypertension, insomnia and much more.
· Liver 3 – Located bilaterally on the top of the foot, in the depression about one thumb-width from the edge of the webbing between the first and second toes. L3 is a great point for improving blood circulation and relieving anxiety.
Dietary Recommendations for Heart Health
Nutrition can also be very important in keeping the heart healthy. Dark berries are loaded with antioxidants that can reduce the risk of heart disease, decrease inflammation, and promote circulation. In addition, chia seeds and flax seeds are high in omega 3 fatty acids that can help lower blood pressure. Other foods like asparagus, nuts, dark chocolate, beans and drinking green tea can also help to maintain a healthy heart.
Seeking help from a locally licensed acupuncturist is a great way to take care of your health. If you are experiencing any chest pains or stroke symptoms, it is best to go to urgent care first, just to make sure there is no serious damage.
Contact our office today at (425) 686-4498 to see how they can help you ease your pain and improve your heart health!
Schedule online here:
Dr. Ellie Heintze, ND, LAc, is a naturopathic doctor and acupuncturist in Bothell, WA at her practice Starting Point Acupuncture. She is a pain specialist, seeing people who suffer from chronic pain, migraines, as well as digestive issues. Offering pain relief injections, acupuncture, facial rejuvenation, and nutrition consults. Most insurances accepted. Dr. Ellie Heintze is also the author of the book, A Starting Point Guide to Going Gluten-Free on Amazon.
Please share this article!
Dr. Ellie Heintze, ND, LAc
- Master’s Degree in Acupuncture
- Doctorate in Naturopathic Medicine
- Master’s Degree in Chemistry
Northern Arizona University
Search Through The Doctor's Blog
Acupuncture Benefits For
- 5 element acupuncture (1)
- Addictions (22)
- Allergies (34)
- Arthritis (13)
- Back Pain (19)
- Better Health & Wellness (238)
- Cancer (10)
- Chronic Problems (45)
- Cosmetic and Aesthetics (11)
- Cosmetic and Skin Health (14)
- Cupping Therapy (5)
- Diabetes and Prevention (14)
- Digestive Health (99)
- Diseases & Disorders (51)
- Fertility (7)
- Gluten-Free Product Review (6)
- Headaches (17)
- Health Insurance (2)
- Healthy Eating & Nutrition (89)
- Helpsheets (9)
- Herbs & Essential Oils (7)
- How Does Acupuncture Work (76)
- Immune Support (31)
- Injury Rehabilitation (20)
- Ketogenic Diet (2)
- Mental Health (37)
- Migraine Treatment (23)
- Mindset and Meditation (6)
- Naturopathic Doctor (90)
- Newsletter Archives (4)
- Pain Management (68)
- PCOS (1)
- Pregnancy (6)
- Recipes (33)
- Research Updates (31)
- Sciatica (5)
- Sleep (17)
- The Acupuncture Meridians (2)
- Therapies & Treatments (52)
- Type 1 Diabetes (2)
- Uncategorized (65)
- Videos (5)
- Weight Loss (28)
- Women's Health (19)