Do you get sick often? Read more below on how we can help give you an immune boost, naturally!
Do you need an immune boost?
If you have ever asked the question, “Why do I get sick so easily?” You may need an immune boost!
There are many reasons why certain people seem to be more prone to getting sick. Some factors are poor health, diet, stress, weakened immune system, and work environment.
Our immune system is here to protect us from invaders that try to get into our body and it is how our system responds that determines if we get sick. Therefore, there are several factors that can weaken the immune response including age, other medical conditions like lung, heart, or blood disorders, diabetes, or cancer.
Can acupuncture help?
From an acupuncture perspective, your body is made up of lots of different kinds of Qi, or energy. These different types of Qi have specific physiological functions in the body. One essential type of Qi is the Wei Qi. Roughly translated as “immunity,” the Wei Qi is your body’s natural strength and ability to fight off pathogens like viruses and bacteria.
The Wei Qi, also called “protective Qi” flows in the space between the skin and muscles, and is the first line of defense against sickness (after your skin). The Wei Qi also controls the opening and closing of the pores, so spontaneous sweating is a sign of a weakness in your protective Qi.
Above all, when the Wei Qi is not strong enough, we are not able to fight off outside pathogens, and we get sick.
A number of other energetic imbalances can weaken our Wei Qi:
● When there is Qi Stagnation in the body from stress or mental tension, this interferes with the flow of Qi throughout the body, so the area where the Wei Qi flows is not supported properly and the Wei Qi suffers.
● If the digestive energy is weakened through poor diet, overwork or stress, it fails to transport the nutrients from food around the body, leading to a deficiency of the Wei Qi.
● Many factors can lead to weakened lung qi: too much talking, grief, pollution, illness or allergies, it cannot effectively turn our breath into the Qi we need to protect ourselves. The lungs are also said to control the Wei Qi, so when they are weakened, the Wei Qi automatically suffers.
● When our essence, isn’t strong due to constitutional and genetic factors, all of our body’s systems suffer, including the Wei Qi.
Top 3 Tips for added Immune Boost:
● Eat right.
The food we eat is transformed into useful Qi by our digestive energy. If you are not eating properly, your digestive energy won’t be able to pull the necessary components out of your food to make efficient. This means it is essential to limit processed foods, eat warm and hearty meals, eat at regular times, get enough protein and to eat a balanced diet.
● Get enough sleep.
Your body replenishes many deeper levels of energy during sleep. If you are not getting enough sleep and some of the more internal energies of your body are weak, the Wei Qi has to work overtime to keep you healthy – and it won’t be able to do that for long. Also, the Wei Qi actually moves internally in the body during sleep, to nourish and protect your internal organs, and not getting enough sleep will not allow it sufficient time to migrate inwards and then get back to the exterior of your body where it is needed during the day.
● Get acupuncture!
There are specific points on the body that nourish the Wei Qi to help prevent sickness. Acupuncture can also strengthen your other energy systems if they are not supporting the Wei Qi sufficiently.
Schedule your immune boost appointments now, give our office a call today, (425) 686-4498 to see how we can help!
Schedule online here:
Dr. Ellie Heintze, ND, LAc, is a naturopathic doctor and acupuncturist in Bothell, WA at her practice Starting Point Acupuncture. She is a pain specialist, seeing people who suffer from chronic pain, migraines, as well as digestive issues. Offering pain relief injections, acupuncture, facial rejuvenation, and nutrition consults. Most insurances accepted. Dr. Ellie Heintze is also the author of the book, A Starting Point Guide to Going Gluten-Free on Amazon.
Please share this article!
Dr. Ellie Heintze, ND, LAc
- Master’s Degree in Acupuncture
- Doctorate in Naturopathic Medicine
- Master’s Degree in Chemistry
Northern Arizona University
Search Through The Doctor's Blog
Acupuncture Benefits For
- 5 element acupuncture (1)
- Addictions (21)
- Allergies (37)
- Arthritis (21)
- Back Pain (26)
- Better Health & Wellness (296)
- Cancer (10)
- Chronic Problems (91)
- Cosmetic and Aesthetics (10)
- Cosmetic and Skin Health (15)
- Cupping Therapy (4)
- Diabetes and Prevention (23)
- Digestive Health (112)
- Diseases & Disorders (77)
- Eye Disorders (3)
- Fertility (12)
- Gluten-Free Product Review (6)
- Headaches (25)
- Health Insurance (1)
- Healthy Eating & Nutrition (95)
- Helpsheets (9)
- Herbs & Essential Oils (9)
- How Does Acupuncture Work (89)
- Immune Support (33)
- Injury Rehabilitation (25)
- Ketogenic Diet (2)
- Mental Health (48)
- Migraine Treatment (33)
- Mindset and Meditation (11)
- Naturopathic Doctor (101)
- Neuropathy (6)
- Newsletter Archives (4)
- Pain Management (110)
- PCOS (4)
- Pregnancy (6)
- Recipes (33)
- Research Updates (47)
- Sciatica (8)
- Sleep (27)
- The Acupuncture Meridians (2)
- Therapies & Treatments (52)
- Type 1 Diabetes (3)
- Uncategorized (104)
- Videos (5)
- Weight Loss (39)
- Women's Health (30)