Both psoriasis and migraines are associated with inflammation. Read more below to see the connection and natural ways to treat it.
Psoriasis and Migraine: What’s the connection?
Psoriasis is an autoimmune disorder with chronic inflammation that can affect joints and skin. Psoriasis is actually quite common. Most people think of it as a skin condition, but in fact the root of the condition lies underneath the skin.
With psoriasis, a person has an overactive immune system. This causes dead skin plaques to form which leads to red, itchy skin. Check out this neat video on how the plaques form. Psoriasis is associated with other conditions, such as heart disease and high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes, and obesity.
But what about the connection with migraines?
The connection of psoriasis and migraines was examined in a recent study published by the Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology. The study gathered data over a 14-year period and examined over 53,000 cases of psoriasis (including all types of psoriasis) to see what, if any, incidence of migraines occurred in the three groups.
Patients with psoriatic arthritis and severe psoriasis were found to have the highest risk of migraines. The results of the study suggest that underlying inflammation may be the link between psoriasis and migraines. Although this study established a link between the two conditions, other factors need to be considered. In addition, further research is needed to better understand the link between psoriasis and migraine co-occurrence (Lipper, 2015).
Both psoriasis and migraines are associated with inflammation. Consider these simple steps to limit symptoms:
- Eat an anti-inflammatory diet. Limit pro-inflammatory foods (foods that are high in sugar, processed, fried, or greasy) as these may trigger migraines or psoriasis. Basing a diet on whole foods, limiting sugar, and eating gluten-free grains is a good start to limiting inflammation in the body and providing symptom relief.
- Explore food allergies or sensitivities. Identify possible food triggers and eliminate them to help calm the immune system and ease symptoms. Start with a simple food allergy test.
- Practice stress management. Calm the mind and give your body a break to decrease inflammation and support your body’s natural repair process. Do those belly breaths!
- Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. To cool the inflammation in the body, stay hydrated. If possible, drink half your body weight in ounces each day in addition to several cups of green tea. Green tea is very cooling energetically and has anti-inflammatory properties.
If you suffer from chronic unresolved migraine headaches, give Dr. Ellie a call today so you can get back to your life symptom-free! (425) 686-4498
Schedule online here:
Dr. Ellie Heintze, ND, LAc, is a naturopathic doctor and acupuncturist in Bothell, WA at her practice Starting Point Acupuncture. She is a pain specialist, seeing people who suffer from chronic pain, migraines, as well as digestive issues. Offering pain relief injections, acupuncture, facial rejuvenation, and nutrition consults. Most insurances accepted. Dr. Ellie Heintze is also the author of the book, A Starting Point Guide to Going Gluten-Free on Amazon.
Lipper, G. (2015, November 25). Psoriasis and migraine: What’s the connection? Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, 73, 829-835. Retrieved March 29, 2016, from www.medscape.com
Please share this article!
Dr. Ellie Heintze, ND, LAc
- Master’s Degree in Acupuncture
- Doctorate in Naturopathic Medicine
- Master’s Degree in Chemistry
Northern Arizona University
Search Through The Doctor's Blog
Acupuncture Benefits For
- 5 element acupuncture (1)
- Addictions (23)
- Allergies (36)
- Arthritis (20)
- Back Pain (25)
- Better Health & Wellness (280)
- Cancer (10)
- Chronic Problems (72)
- Cosmetic and Aesthetics (11)
- Cosmetic and Skin Health (16)
- Cupping Therapy (5)
- Diabetes and Prevention (17)
- Digestive Health (111)
- Diseases & Disorders (71)
- Fertility (12)
- Gluten-Free Product Review (6)
- Headaches (24)
- Health Insurance (2)
- Healthy Eating & Nutrition (94)
- Helpsheets (9)
- Herbs & Essential Oils (8)
- How Does Acupuncture Work (87)
- Immune Support (34)
- Injury Rehabilitation (24)
- Ketogenic Diet (2)
- Mental Health (42)
- Migraine Treatment (32)
- Mindset and Meditation (9)
- Naturopathic Doctor (100)
- Newsletter Archives (4)
- Pain Management (97)
- PCOS (4)
- Pregnancy (6)
- Recipes (33)
- Research Updates (42)
- Sciatica (8)
- Sleep (26)
- The Acupuncture Meridians (2)
- Therapies & Treatments (52)
- Type 1 Diabetes (2)
- Uncategorized (93)
- Videos (7)
- Weight Loss (37)
- Women's Health (29)