There are many safe and effective natural treatment options for rosacea. We will look at a few that are done here at our office in Bothell: Acupuncture and LED light therapy.
Natural treatment options for Rosacea
Rosacea is a common skin condition that causes facial redness, red bumps, blemishes, and visible blood vessels in your face. Rosacea maybe triggered by hormone changes, stress, emotions, hot weather, genetics, alcohol-use, certain medications, food allergies, and more. These signs and symptoms may flare up for a period of weeks to months and then diminish for a while.
The current treatments for rosacea are limited and most do not correct the underlying cause. There are topical and oral prescription therapies available but most are not tolerated well by all patients.
There is new evidence of many alternative effective treatment options for rosacea patients that include not only controlling and reducing symptoms but treating underlying cause to prevent flares.
Can acupuncture help Rosacea?
There are many safe and effective natural treatment options for rosacea.
We will look at a few that are done here at our office in Bothell: Acupuncture and LED light therapy.
A recent study looked at the effect of acupuncture on rosacea. Facial acupuncture was done around the rosacea areas. Results showed significant improvement in rosacea regions and patient reported no relapse in rosacea flares for 6 months after treatment sessions.
The rationale for effectiveness theorized was that acupuncture enhanced micro-circulation of blood at the localized area and produced ant-inflammatory effects.
Other natural treatments available:
LED light therapy has been shown to decrease redness, inflammation, and prevent flares in patients suffering from rosacea. LED light therapy can provide benefit by reducing oxidative damage on the skin and triggering collagen synthesis.
Overview of natural ways to treat Rosacea:
- Sun protection: Studies show that the sun can make rosacea worse. So, make sure you apply natural sunscreen, wear a hat, or cover-up when outside in direct sun for long periods of time!
- Natural skin care regimen: Use a natural, paraben-free moisturizer and facial serum to restore lipid barrier of skin which helps from further damage. At Starting Point, we only recommend the best, high-quality products and a proper skin care regimen is key for improving the quality of your skin and reducing redness. Check out our recommended product line here.
- Anti-inflammatory diet: Includes going gluten-free, avoiding sugar and processed foods, and high quality meats. Think paleo!
- Combat skin stress: Topical and supplemental Vitamin C. These antioxidants help to reduce free radials, improve skin health, and combat harmful effects of sun exposure.
- LED Light Therapy: Following specific LED therapy protocol, determined by your doctor, can work in combination with these other therapies to reduce redness and flares.
- Get Facial Cosmetic Acupuncture. There are several studies showing how facial acupuncture can help to not only reduce redness and inflammation found in rosacea but improve skin tone, muscle strength, increase natural collagen, and improve facial elasticity.
If you’re ready to take a natural approach to facial rejuvenation, consider the many benefits of facial rejuvenation acupuncture instead of more invasive techniques or artificial solutions. Call Starting Point at (425) 686-4498 to schedule your Glowing Skin Consult today!
Schedule online here:
Dr. Ellie Heintze, ND, LAc, is a naturopathic doctor and acupuncturist in Bothell, WA at her practice Starting Point Acupuncture. She is a pain specialist, seeing people who suffer from chronic pain, migraines, as well as digestive issues. Offering pain relief injections, acupuncture, facial rejuvenation, and nutrition consults. Most insurances accepted. Dr. Ellie Heintze is also the author of the book, A Starting Point Guide to Going Gluten-Free on Amazon.
Please share this article!
Dr. Ellie Heintze, ND, LAc
- Master’s Degree in Acupuncture
- Doctorate in Naturopathic Medicine
- Master’s Degree in Chemistry
Northern Arizona University
Search Through The Doctor's Blog
Acupuncture Benefits For
- 5 element acupuncture (1)
- Addictions (22)
- Allergies (34)
- Arthritis (13)
- Back Pain (19)
- Better Health & Wellness (234)
- Cancer (10)
- Chronic Problems (44)
- Cosmetic and Aesthetics (11)
- Cosmetic and Skin Health (13)
- Cupping Therapy (5)
- Diabetes and Prevention (10)
- Digestive Health (96)
- Diseases & Disorders (49)
- Fertility (5)
- Gluten-Free Product Review (6)
- Headaches (16)
- Health Insurance (2)
- Healthy Eating & Nutrition (84)
- Helpsheets (9)
- Herbs & Essential Oils (7)
- How Does Acupuncture Work (75)
- Immune Support (31)
- Injury Rehabilitation (20)
- Ketogenic Diet (2)
- Mental Health (36)
- Migraine Treatment (22)
- Mindset and Meditation (6)
- Naturopathic Doctor (89)
- Newsletter Archives (4)
- Pain Management (67)
- Pregnancy (6)
- Recipes (32)
- Research Updates (30)
- Sciatica (5)
- Sleep (17)
- The Acupuncture Meridians (2)
- Therapies & Treatments (52)
- Type 1 Diabetes (2)
- Uncategorized (65)
- Videos (5)
- Weight Loss (26)
- Women's Health (16)