Save Your Summertime Skin. Read below to learn the top tips to keep your skin healthy and glowing this summer!
Best tips to have healthy skin this summer
Now is the time of year when the sun becomes irresistible. As tempting as it is to spend as much time as possible in the warmth of the sun, there are a few precautions to take to protect your skin from harmful rays.
Our skin is the largest organ in the body. It reflects our health and age. Today, there’s much concern about sunbathing leading to an increase in skin damage and skin cancer.
Excessive exposure to ultraviolet rays can increase the production of free radicals that can adversely affect the integrity of collagen in the skin. Over time, our skin becomes wrinkled, cracked, aged, and brittle. For smokers, the effects are multiplied.
Research suggests that skin cancer is cumulative over a lifetime. It begins with overexposure and serious sunburns during childhood.
We can’t live without the sun. Our bodies require sunlight in order to manufacture Vitamin D needed for calcium absorption, among other things. So, we shouldn’t hide from our shining star.
Here are a few helpful tips and precautions to take when you’re soaking in the sun this summer.
- Use sunscreen – Choose a sunscreen with a high SPF number for greater protection. Apply it onto your skin 15 minutes before you go outside. Don’t forget your nose, ears, and neck.
- Time is key – Avoid sun exposure when the sun is at its highest peak in the sky, typically from about 11:00 am – 4:00 pm.
- Gear up – Wear a hat with a wide brim, t-shirt, and sunglasses that filter ultraviolet rays.
- Drink up – By keeping your body hydrated you can avoid dehydration and provide moisture for the skin to prevent dryness, cracking, and aging.
- Pop a pill – Vitamins such as A, E, and some antioxidants help prevent skin damage from the inside. Cod Liver oil and Flaxseed oil have also been used to support skin health.
- Brush it off – Before you take a shower, use a dry skin brush. This can open pores and slough off dead skin, allowing your skin to breathe easily and work more efficiently.
- Keep healthy – Some medications we take may have reactions and side effects when we’re exposed to sunlight. Acupuncture may be able to provide an alternative to these medications, keeping you healthy, safely and naturally.
- Get Acupuncture! Facial acupuncture has become increasingly popular in the past ten years in rejuvenating the skin. Reports have found facial acupuncture can reduces lines on the face and leave skin smoother and glowing.
Acupuncture is a natural and non-invasive treatment that does not have side effects. Treatment can also leave one feeling overall more relaxed and at ease. To learn more about how we can help your skin care needs, click here for more information on our Glow Rejuvenation Program.
If you’re ready to take a natural approach to facial rejuvenation and skin health, consider the many benefits of facial rejuvenation acupuncture instead of more invasive techniques or artificial solutions.
Call Starting Point at (425) 686-4498 to schedule your Glowing Skin Consult today!
Schedule online here:
Dr. Ellie Heintze, ND, LAc, is a naturopathic doctor and acupuncturist in Bothell, WA at her practice Starting Point Acupuncture. She is a pain specialist, seeing people who suffer from chronic pain, migraines, as well as digestive issues. Offering pain relief injections, acupuncture, and nutrition consults. Most insurances accepted. Dr. Ellie Heintze is also the author of the book, A Starting Point Guide to Going Gluten-Free on Amazon.
Please share this article!
Dr. Ellie Heintze, ND, LAc
- Master’s Degree in Acupuncture
- Doctorate in Naturopathic Medicine
- Master’s Degree in Chemistry
Northern Arizona University
Search Through The Doctor's Blog
Acupuncture Benefits For
- 5 element acupuncture (1)
- Addictions (23)
- Allergies (37)
- Arthritis (20)
- Back Pain (25)
- Better Health & Wellness (284)
- Cancer (10)
- Chronic Problems (77)
- Cosmetic and Aesthetics (11)
- Cosmetic and Skin Health (16)
- Cupping Therapy (5)
- Diabetes and Prevention (17)
- Digestive Health (111)
- Diseases & Disorders (72)
- Eye Disorders (2)
- Fertility (12)
- Gluten-Free Product Review (6)
- Headaches (24)
- Health Insurance (2)
- Healthy Eating & Nutrition (94)
- Helpsheets (9)
- Herbs & Essential Oils (8)
- How Does Acupuncture Work (87)
- Immune Support (36)
- Injury Rehabilitation (24)
- Ketogenic Diet (2)
- Mental Health (45)
- Migraine Treatment (32)
- Mindset and Meditation (10)
- Naturopathic Doctor (100)
- Newsletter Archives (4)
- Pain Management (100)
- PCOS (4)
- Pregnancy (6)
- Recipes (33)
- Research Updates (45)
- Sciatica (8)
- Sleep (27)
- The Acupuncture Meridians (2)
- Therapies & Treatments (52)
- Type 1 Diabetes (2)
- Uncategorized (95)
- Videos (7)
- Weight Loss (37)
- Women's Health (29)